Meditation for health enhancement is a mind-body practice that has been used for thousands of years in Eastern religious and spiritual traditions. Generally speaking, meditation is a way of clearing the mind of distracting thoughts and emotions to increase physical relaxation, mental calmness, clarity, and psychological balance.
There are many different techniques that can be used to practice meditation.
Some techniques focus attention on a word, object or the breath to assist in removing distraction and increasing focused attention. Meditation can be done in stillness, or movement. Pilates, Yoga, Tai-Chi, and Qi Gong are all forms of “Moving Meditation.
Most types of Meditation have these four things in common:
- A quiet, distraction-free environment (free of phones, pets, and other interruptions)
- A comfortable posture (seated, standing, lying down, walking...)
- Focused attention (on a mantra, object, or breathing)
- A open attitude to let distracting thoughts go, and working towards stillness of the “monkey-mind.”
(The constant barrage of thoughts and distractions that pop into our head and create unnecessary stress to the physical, emotional, and spiritual body.)
There are hundreds of wonderful health benefits to practicing daily meditation!
(Even if it's only 10-20 minutes a day!)
Here are just a few:
- Improve overall health
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Decreases muscle tension
- Improves physical relaxation
- Enhances the immune system
- Helps with weight loss
- Helps focus and concentration
- Increases productivity
- Increases feelings of vitality and rejuvenation
- Provides peace of mind
- Builds self-confidence
- Brings body, mind and spirit into harmony
- And many, many more wonderful health and wellness benefits!
Meditation is a simple, economical way to improve your health!
- It's a skill that's easy to learn
- Can be practiced anywhere
- Requires no special equipment
- Has no negative side effects